Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Why I Decided to take Japanese!

Ever since I was younger, I have always been surrounded by languages. Coming from a Nigerian family, and living in a multi-cultural neighborhood I've been immersed in languages like Yoruba, Spanish, French, and English. Yoruba is the language my family speaks so, naturally, I was exposed to that language at home frequently. My school required me to take a language, and as I result, I've taken French for a whopping 8 years and English is a language that you will always hear, regardless of where you go in America.

When you are in Elementary, Middle, and High school, the languages you learn are often limited to languages like French or Spanish. So when I arrived at Barnard, I was overwhelmed by the number of languages they had to offer. They even had a formal class for Yoruba (which I'm currently taking). This was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. With all the resources the school provided, I was tempted to fit in as many languages as possible. French and Yoruba just wasn't enough for me. I wanted to learn more, see more of the world as well (I've already been to Nigeria and France). I was influenced to take Japanese specifically after meeting a group of exchange students from Japan while I was in High School. Though we aren't in contact anymore, I wanted to try to learn their language just as they tried to learn ours. 

So here I am today, four weeks in to a beginners Japanese class. There are times when the material we learn is confusing, and I won't lie and say that learning hiragana was a breeze. Nevertheless, the thrill of learning a new language hasn't diminished  since the first time I took a language class. I'm excited to see how far I can go! 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! A real polyglot, that is quite impressive. I wish I had a mastery of that many languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm sure you'll become a master at Japanese in no time!

      Delete
  2. I wished that there were more language options other than French and Spanish in middle/high school. Though I know the options are expanding (at my school they offer Mandarin now) and it depends on the school you go to. So I felt the same way when I got to Columbia and realized that I had so many options for what language to learn. I had a hard time picking only Japanese XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same! In the end I'm taking two different languages this semester, but I'm sure you'll be able to learn even more languages as you continue with school! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. はじめまして。わたしわイーリンです。This is really impressive. I enjoy learning languages too, but usually couldn't keep studying on them after two or three years. Hope I can go further with Japanese.
    がんばって!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I hope that we are both able to continue on to more advanced levels in Japanese! Good Luck!

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am a Notre Dame first year Japanese student. I think it is really cool that you can speak Yoruba. That is such an interesting language to know. Good luck with your studying Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Good luck with your language studies as well!

      Delete